Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Jacob's Ladder (1990, Adrian Lyne)








If you're frightened of dying, and you're holding on, you'll see devils tearing your life away. If you've made your peace, then the devils are really angels, freeing you from the Earth.

This entire movie hangs on that quote. It's strangely profound especially since it simultaneously gives you insight to our protagonist and forwards the plot by leaps and bounds. Adrian Lyne is a very smart man. He strays away from making a straight up "bad-trip" film which I've read time and time again in reviews for this. There's too much strength in the performances and writing for this film to be pigeonholed in some lame phrase that, to me, demeans the power and effectiveness of the picture. Tim Robbins gives quite the performance that ranges from shockingly crazed to extraordinarily heartbreaking. There's talk here and there of the whole movie being a dream or, should I say, hallucination. Lyne's directorial poweress is why this is so up in the air and I totally admire that but the ending and the film, itself, are definitely one thing to me; And that's why I love it so much. I can't sit here and argue with someone on what actually happened and come out fully right. A personal film, through and through, whether it be your perspective or Adrian Lyne's. That's the mark of something great.

85

No comments:

Post a Comment