Tuesday, February 16, 2010

The Cook, The Thief, His Wife & Her Lover (1989, Peter Greenway)


So, when exactly do I stop being blown away by every other film I watch now? I've seriously been on the hottest of streaks in the past week and a half. I'm not complaining but mannnn. It's intense. *breathes* Okay, so THIS film now. I've heard about this from a fellow film fan who went ape-shit over it when he first finished it. I had heard about it before but his enthusiasm shot it straight into my radar. Still kinda reeling from it but it goes without saying that I was not expecting such a bold, artistic, and uncompromising film such as this. Peter Greenway is the kind of auteur that reignites my love as film as art. His heavy stylistic choices are so artificial and theatrical but in the best way possible. He mirrors the story's arc and character dilemma's with artificial light, extravagant costumes and outrageous sets. Some people can't get past his indulgences and I can see why but it just blows my mind that someone isn't immediately sucked in this grisly and insanely beautiful story. I especially like the people who complain that this is boring which dumbfounds me too. Okay, so I only mentioned that last bit so I could include this little bit of genius I found on IMDB from some user: "If this movie "bored you to tears", what do you do to stay awake during sex?".


I've read from many a review that this film is heavy on the political parable which I honestly didn't see when I watched it. Though, the "parable" is drenched in the movie's themes which I definitely did see so maybe I did see it inadvertently...? I give myself too much credit... Back on track: The whole Thatcherism angle that Greenway supposedly symbolizes with the four titular characters is an interesting and very convincing one especially when you look at Greenway's background and thinking but I don't feel like it's needed to understand the greatness of the film. Like I said before, the political parable he's going for is so loose in it's execution that it doesn't strangle you with it's grip. I, personally, was sucked into the story at a surface level from beginning to end. Sure, Greenway's portrayal of wastelessness, greed, gluttony, lust...Ok, can we call this film Se7en. Maybe? Oh, me. What a funny guy I am. Too funny. All I'm saying is the story, characters, dialogue, performances, intense cinematic formalism and beauty is more than enough to make you fall head over heels with this film. If that doesn't work, you always have Helen Mirren to fall back on.


96

3 comments:

  1. Agreed about the Thatcher angle, I didn't notice it either until reading afterward. Pretty brilliant, though. Just like the whole film.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't even know you'd seen it. Awesome. That last line kills me. I think I rewound it like 5 times.

    ReplyDelete